Catholic Diocese of Jhabua was erected on March 1, 2002 and came into existence on the 7th of June 2002, bifurcating the Catholic Diocese of Indore and Catholic Diocese of Udaipur, with Bishop Chacko Thottumarickal SVD as its first Bishop. The Diocese comprises of five civil districts namely Jhabua, Alirajpur, Ratlam, Mandsaur, Neemuch and Sardarpur Tehsil of Dhar district of Madhya Pradesh, on the border of Gujarat and Rajasthan states. The first mission station was started in 1896 at Thandla by Fr. Charles OFM. Cap the first Bhil missionary in Jhabua District.
On 24th October 2008, Bishop Chacko T. J. SVD was transferred to the Diocese of Indore as its Bishop. On the same day he was appointed as the Apostolic Administrator of the Jhabua Diocese. On the 11 may 2009, Holy Father Pope Benedict XVIth appointed Very Rev. Fr. Devprasad Ganawa SVD as the 2nd Bishop of Catholic Diocese of Jhabua. On 16th June 2009, he was ordained as Bishop of Jhabua Diocese.
On November 2012, Bishop Devprasad Ganawa SVD was transferred to the Diocese of Udaipur as its Bishop. On same day he was appointed as the Apostolic Administrator of the Jhabua Diocese. On the 18 July 2015, Holy Father Pope Francis appointed Very Rev. Fr. Basil Bhuriya SVD as the 3rd Bishop of Catholic Diocese of Jhabua. On 10th October 2015, he was ordained as Bishop of Jhabua Diocese.
|Patron of the Diocese:
||Our Lady of Annunciation.